WHAT IS IT?
Marijuana is a mind-altering psychoactive drug, which can cause hallucinations. The main ingredient, THC ( delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), comes from the dry, shredded, green/brown mix of flowers, stems, seeds or leaves of the cannabis sativa plant which produces the psychoactive effect.
Aunt Mary, BC Bud, Chronic, Dope, Gangster, Ganja, Grass, Hash, Herb, Joint, Mary Jane, Mota, Pot, Reefer, Sinsemilla, Skunk, Smoke, Weed, Yerba
HOW IT IS TAKEN
- Smoked as a cigarette or in pipe or bong
- Smoked in blunts (cigar emptied of tobacco and filled with marijuana, and sometimes mixed with additional drugs)
- Mixed with food (edibles)
- Brewed as tea
HOW DOES IT AFFECT THE BODY?
- Relaxation, disinhibition, increased appetite, sedation, increased sociability
- Effects memory and learning
- Difficulty in thinking and problem-solving
- Impaired judgment, reduced coordination
- Distorted perception
- Decreased blood pressure, increased heart rate, dizziness, nausea, tachycardia
- Confusion, anxiety, paranoia, drowsiness
- Respiratory ailments
Learn more about medication-assisted treatment – what it is, how it’s used, and how you can best support your child through treatment. When you click through, just complete the simple email form to receive your free PDF download that contains all of the comprehensive information you’ll need.
Center on Addiction has written a short, concise guide to help anyone who is trying to find a quality addictions treatment. They go into detail about levels of care as well as types of addiction treatment. They provide you with questions to ask when you’re looking for quality addiction treatment, including a blank worksheet with questions for a treatment provider.
SAMSHA has provided a break down of MAT, including information about methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone. This information includes what it does, where you can get it, cost, who it works for, research, side effects, warnings, risk to others, effects during pregnancy and more. They also provide videos with people’s own testimony about their MAT journey. SAMSHA provides a chart with the breakdown of the three drugs, allowing you to see the comparison between the three of them in one page.
Follow the link below to learn more about MAT: