WHAT IS IT?
Cocaine is a white, crystalline powder derived from coca leaves. Cocaine base (crack) looks like small, irregularly shaped white rocks.
Coca, Coke, Crack, Crank, Flake, Rock, Snow, Soda Cot
HOW IT IS TAKEN
- Dissolved in water and injected
- Crack cocaine is smoked
- Cocaine users usually binge on the drug until they are exhausted or run out of cocaine.
HOW DOES IT AFFECT THE BODY?
- Smoking or injection creates an intense euphoric “rush”
- Tolerance builds quickly, easy to overdose
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
- Restlessness, irritability, anxiety, paranoia
- Insomnia, loss of appetite
- Stroke or death
- Sudden cardiac arrest
- The crash that follows a high is mental and physical exhaustion, sleep, and depression lasting several days. Following the crash, users crave cocaine again.