This guide breaks down talking to kids of all ages about drugs.
For resources on addiction, prevention and treatment, follow the link below to Center on Addictions’ website.
The NIDA blog answers this question for you. Follow the link below to learn more about cough and cold medicine.
WHAT IS IT?
Steroids is a synthetically produced versions of testosterone, the male hormone used to promote muscle growth, enhance athletic performance, and improve physical appearance.
Arnolds, Gear, Gym Candy, Juice, Pumpers, Roids, Stackers, Weight Gainers
HOW IT IS TAKEN
- Injected intramuscularly
- Gels, creams, transdermal patches
- Tablets, sublingual-tablets and capsules
HOW DOES IT AFFECT THE BODY?
- Many effects depending on age, sex, the type, length of time used
- In males: stunts growth, acne, shrinks testicles, enlarges breasts
- In females: deepens voice, increases facial and body hair, acne, menstrual irregularities
- Dramatic mood swings, impaired judgment, increased levels of aggression and hostility
- Increased risk of heart disease, liver damage