WHAT IS IT?
Barbiturates are a depressant drug used to help sleep, relieve anxiety and muscle spasms, prevent seizures.
Prescribed names: Fiorina®, Pentothal®, Seconal®, or Nembutal®.
Barbs, Block Busters, Christmas Trees, Goof Balls, Pinks, Red Devils, Reds & Blues, Yellow Jackets
HOW IT IS TAKEN
Swallowing a pill or injecting a liquid
HOW DOES IT AFFECT THE BODY?
- Lack of inhibition, relief of anxiety, sleepiness; impairment of memory, judgment and coordination; irritability
- Paranoia and suicidal thought
- Tolerance is easily developed, requiring larger doses each time
- Overdose can occur easily and can be fatal.
- Signs: Shallow respiration, clammy skin, dilated pupils, weak and rapid pulse, coma